Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Tribute to the Elderly: Church Outreach Ministry

A short devotion before leaving the church
Every year, our church (the Lagro United Methodist Church) is giving tribute to the elderly members by treating them out. This year, the group went to the Manila Ocean Park, “Kulturang Pinoy” at Boom na Boom and a halo-halo treat at SM Mall of Asia. I went with mom.

Group Picture inside the Manila Ocean Park
First stop was Manila Ocean Park. It was our first time. At first, I was a bit worried for mom because it was a large area and it would be difficult to walk around for her. I had no problem because I was on a wheel chair. The group stopped at the gate for a while the “elder assistants” (what a term) went ahead. I was relieved to see Ghen, who was assisting mom coming back with a wheel chair for mom. It was great! People can borrow a wheel chair inside for free! They only need to present an ID.

Mom and I at the Manila Ocean Park bayview
We had lunch first then we started going around. We went out to the bayside where we had a good look at the Manila Bay. Ghen pushed my wheel chair and Sally pushed mom’s.  It was just sad that I didn’t have my own camera that time. My phone’s camera was broken. I even noticed what seemed to be a floating kitchen under the piers of the building. It was surprising how people can be very resourceful with their lives. After a conversation about “calling” and “God’s plan”, we went back inside to join the others.

at the Sharks
Then, we went to see the Oceanarium. I felt excited ‘cause I’d been seeing it on TV shows but for sure, it would be different up close and personal. Indeed, it was a wonderful experience to see rare animal life like sharks, sting rays and different kinds of deep sea fish especially the huge tunnel-like aquarium where you can see  different fish-species and sting rays swimming around and above you. Although, it was not as big as I thought. Mom loved it! She would want to go there again if possible.

The place is convenient for mom. I hope we can go there again. Actually, we were suppose to watch the musical fountain show but it would start at 6pm so it would be too long to wait for it. Ate Becks just decided to reserve it for the next time. Hope it would be soon, hehehe...


Last stop inside the Oceanarium

No comments:

Post a Comment